GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2002-04 > 1019392334

From: "Mary E. Cauller" <>
Subject: Re: [GV] Saratov archives / service costs
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 08:32:14 -0400

Vera:
This is slightly off the topic but since I see you read Deutsch sites, I
will ask. I don't know where you are posting from. I believe I have
found my grandfather's family in Gruenberg, Deutschland (No Uemlauts on
my computer). I spoke with them briefly by phone and exchanged e-mail.
Later in the day, my daughter handed me the phone and said it was
Germany. I answered and heard nothing. I hung up thinking she was
kidding with me. She was not. I have sent several e-mail and have heard
nothing. It is the daughter's e-mail. Is it possible that it is her
e-mail from school? The e-mail server is gmz.de. Thanks.

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:55:06 Africa/Johannesburg
writes:
> I read on another German-language GR mail-list,
> that a man in Germany wanted genealogy done by the Saratov Archives
> (not sure if this means that Dr Pleve finished up doing it for the
> client).
>
> He had to give a deposit of 200 DM, (ca $ 90)
> and later he was sent a bill for 1 200 DM for 5 'Urkunden" (ca $550
> )
> certifcates/entires
>
> He writes that he refused to pay the bill.
>
> Best find out how much such jobs will cost.
>
> This info is taken from the www.russlanddeutschegeschichte.de/
> chat list.
>
> YES, it's true that many of the Russian Archives are now charging
> $100-$120 per document (eg birth certificate / entry).
>
> It is their new "income earner" to subsidise the existence of the
> Archives,
> as the Russian government is pressing for more "privatisation" and
> market-related functions and produce income-generating services.
>
> Vera
>
> http://www.russlanddeutschegeschichte.de/

> This message was sent using World Mail.
> http://www.worldonline.co.za