GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2002-04 > 1018534659

From: "Dick Kraus/Pat Fiero" <>
Subject: [GV] Wilson, KS -- Kraus -- Ehrlich
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:12:07 -0700

On 26 Nov 1897 arriving NYC on the SS Karlsruhe from Bremen and going to Wilson, KS were: 1) Charlotte Kraus 29 (sic19?) single from Alexandertal going to an uncle; and 2) Heinrich Ehrlich 39 married farmer from Shcherbakovka going to a brother-in-law. Does anyone know who the uncle and brother-in-law were? According to family lore, Charlotte was raped on the ship. She did give birth to a daughter in (early?) August 1898. She married Jacob Gotfried Dies at Lehigh in Marion Co, KS 26 Feb 1899. Charlotte's mother is supposed to have been a Schmidt.

Looking for the brother-in-law and uncle, I read through the 1900 census for the three townships closest to Wilson: Wilson and Nobel Twp of Ellsworth Co, and Plymouth Twp of Russell Co. None of the folk there seemed obvious. The family names (as best I could tell; many were unclear) from Russia included: Amschutz/Anschutz, Bistafel/Bistafeld, Borrell, Coover, Ehrlich, Frebus/Friebus, Friehu, Gross, Harber, Heinz/Heinze/Heinetz, Hilliamberg/Hilliamkig, Hings, Longhoefer/Longhoffer, Mafor, Meyer, Michel, Miller, Nuss, Peical, Reab, Steinle, Stoppel, Stroh and Walter. One page of Plymouth Twp was missing from the census copy I used. The Ehrlich was Alexander b July 62, wife Mary b Jan 1861, several kids, and mother Catherine E. b 1826. He had come to the US un 1878 and his wife and mother in 1885. He surely was not the brother-in-law since he bore the same family name as Heinrich.

Any hints or help would be welcome. Dick Kraus, Alexandertal VC

This thread: