GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2002-04 > 1018505470

From: Patrice Miller <>
Subject: [GV] Searching for Johannes Befus in Canada
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 23:11:10 -0700

Hello All,

I am helping a Peter Befus of Hanover, Germany search for his Johannes
or John Befus /Befuss relatives in Canada. Horts W. Gutsche is assisting
in this search and translating any information for Peter Befus. Here is
what we know so far:

John or Johannes Befus was probably born around 1888-1896. He had an
older brother, Peter, born in 1886 who stayed in Yagodnaya Polyana,
Russia. John or Johannes was single when he traveled to Canada. John's
mother, name unkown Befus, came to Canada later when she was elderly. It
may have been in the 1920's.

I have found a Johannes Befus who came on the SS Birma from Libau to NY
on
August 1, 1911. He was 17 years old which would put his birthdate in
1894. He was traveling from Hran? Befuss in Poljana to P. Poffenroth,
b-i-law 528 7th Ave East, Calgary. On the same ship was a Philip
Gollstein (Holstein) going to friend P. Poffenroth in Calgary. Since
Johannes was single, the brother in law must have been his sister's
husband.

The only other John Befus that I am aware of was the Johannes Befus born
in 1889 married to an Anna Marie Goerlitz born in 1891, they lived in
Canada. What does not fit about this John is that his entire family
(parents and siblings-including a Peter) came to Canada and his parents
died in Portland.

Does anyone have information on the Johannes / John Befus or any John
born around that time frame (1888-1896) that came to Canada?

Peter Befus of Hanover, Germany would like to visit Calgary, Canada in
the fall. We would love to help him identify and meet some of his
Canadian cousins.

Thanks for any assistance,

Patrice Miller

This thread: