GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2002-04 > 1018293222

From: Patrice Miller <>
Subject: Re: [GV] Ochs
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 12:13:42 -0700

Tammie,
I don't know for certain, but I would be willing to bet that your Peter
Ochs is from the German Volga village (in Russia) of Pobochnoye or one
of its daughter colonies such as Schoenfeld.

Ochs was a very common surname in this village. Many of the people of
those villages settled in the Endicott/ colfax/ farmington area. Also
many people from the village of Yagodnaya Polyana, a neighboring village
of Pobochnoye settled in Endicott/ colfax/ farmington.

If you go to:

http://www.webbitt.com/volga/census.htm

and click on the Whitman county census, you will see many Ochs families,
I don't know if yours is there or not. For the most, part their
birthplace is listed as Russia (not Prussia) or Saratov. Sartov was the
province in the Volga valley that those villages are located in. They
often said Saratov as their birthplace instead of the small village
name.

There is a small web site for Pobochnoye here:

http://www.webbitt.com/volga/poboch.htm

and Schoenfeld

http://www.webbitt.com/volga/schoenfeld.htm

Laurin Wilhelm is the village coordinator for both Pobochnoye and
Schoenfeld.

he may be able to give you more specific information.

Good luck in your search.

Patrice Miller

TAMMIE ELLIOTT wrote:

> I am the g-g-granddaughter of Peter Ochs of Prussia who settled in colfax/farmington area of washington state.
>
> My g-grandmother was Delia kammerzell who married peter's son David.
>
> Any information of family history back past peter, please contact me.
>
> Also searching for
>
> kammerzell
> aschennbrenner
> hahn