GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2001-06 > 0993190444

From: Vera Beljakova <>
Subject: Re: [GV] Russian Military obligations
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:14:04 +0200

John Brill wrote:

> My grandfather, Conrad Ludwig (Louis) Brill was drafted into the
> Russian Army, before he came from Norka to America in 1899, but I do
> not know the length of time or dates that he served. Does anyone know
> where I could get this information?
>
> Also I heard that the Germans who did not speak or understand
> Russian, were treated badly while in the Russian Army (an incentive
> to learn the Russian language). Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> John E. Brill

There was pentaly, and one served longer (see my last letter to the list)

if one did not know the national language.
Many German colonists _did_ know Russian because they had been to
school.
Officers were demanding but not necessarily getting Russian-speaking
conscripts. the extra 2 years was to teach them Russian to understand
army and officers' orders.

Vera