GER-VOLGA-L Archives

Archiver > GER-VOLGA > 2001-06 > 0993092323

From: "Suzanne Heinitz D." <>
Subject: Re: [GV] Russian Military obligations
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:58:43 -0700 (PDT)

My great uncle, George Heinitz (spelled Heintz on his discharge papers), served
in the Russian Army as a Border Guard, from January 1, 1899 and was discharged
into the reserve Dec 24, 1903. So that adds up to five years for him. He was
taken into service by the Novouzinske (?) military board district #4.
Suzanne Heinitz D.
--- wrote:

> In a message dated 6/20/01 7:08:23 PM, writes:
>
> << I have heard several accounts of the length of service for the German
> Draftees into the Russian military. I was told that my grandfather Phillip
> Werner was commited for seven years.
> Did the length vary or was it standardized?
> Byron Eisner

> Seven years is the amount of time that my great uncle served. My
> grandfather, who was younger, came to the USA rather than serve.
> Ruth Schultz,
> Village: Norka; Surnames: Blum, Frueauf, Scheidemann, Weitzel

=====
Someday you'll be an ancestor too!

This thread: