GENMSC-L Archives

Archiver > GENMSC > 2011-09 > 1317323750

From: Bob Melson <>
Subject: Re: Using to-do lists in genealogy software
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:15:50 -0600

On Wednesday 28 September 2011 21:03, Steve Hayes ()
opined:

> I was recently quite surprised to discover that someone I regarded as an
> experienced genealogist did not use the "to-do list" feature of his
> genealogical software as a research tool.
>
> So I've written a blog post about it, and about how useful it is.
>
> If you have a genealogy program with a "to-do list" feature, and you
> haven't used it yet, you can read about it here:
>
> http://su.pr/9a3X53
>

> --
> Steve Hayes
> Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/
> http://hayesgreene.blogspot.com

I have reservations about the utility of to-do (and other) lists. If I'm
researching great grampa's uncle Mort and I'm lacking information, I KNOW
that and certainly don't need to have a to-do to tell me. If I leave
Uncle Mort for a while and come back, I _still_ know what I don't know and
still don't need a reminder.

Research notes, on the other hand, tell me what I've done WRT Uncle Mort -
where I've looked and what I've looked at. I still know what I don't
know, however, and a to-do list isn't going to change that.

So, please, 'splain me why I need a to-do list.

Stumped Ol' Bob

--
-----
The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated

This thread: