GENMSC-L Archives

Archiver > GENMSC > 2010-07 > 1280579115

From: knuttle <>
Subject: Re: Keeping track of paper files
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 08:25:15 -0400

On 7/31/2010 5:21 AM, Lesley Robertson wrote:

> "Brian" <> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:34:29 -0400, Wes Groleau
>> <Groleau+> wrote:
>>

>>> A hundred years fom now, even though most people can't, there will be
>>> experts that know how to read floppy disks, just like we have experts
>>> that can read cuneiform and hieroglyphics.
>>>
>>> So I have no worries about that. I can however, guarantee that
>>> a hundred years from now, _no_one_ will be able to use my paper
>>> copies, unless they want to take one paper at a time, figure out
>>> what it is, figure out how to file it and index it, etc.
>>
>> That is probably true but it will be very expensive to do so.
>
> Leave them well sorted and filed now? It's taking a while but we're
> managing with the files in the Archive. You have to make them want to do
> it...
>>
>> And some think that CD's and DVD's will only last for 20-30 years.
>
> I have some that have only lasted 4. I'm told that the ones with the
> gold-coloured finish last better than the silvery ones.
> Lesley Robertson

Sorry I don't know what happen on the reply that ended up with S as a
subject

Whether the CD last is not the point, the point is does the family last.
If the CD's are pasted down to descendants, the descendants will
insure the data last. This may be copying to a future media that they
are using when they realized the CD is getting iffy. Once the family
dies out, or gets so confused, (multiple children by different dads
across a couple of generation) no one will care, about the family as
known today.

Paper last, but how many documents do you have that are one hundred
years old.

This thread: