GENMSC-L Archives

Archiver > GENMSC > 2010-07 > 1280568116

From: "Lesley Robertson" <>
Subject: Re: Keeping track of paper files
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:21:56 +0200

"Brian" <> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:34:29 -0400, Wes Groleau
> <Groleau+> wrote:
>>A hundred years fom now, even though most people can't, there will
>>experts that know how to read floppy disks, just like we have
>>that can read cuneiform and hieroglyphics.
>>So I have no worries about that. I can however, guarantee that
>>a hundred years from now, _no_one_ will be able to use my paper
>>copies, unless they want to take one paper at a time, figure out
>>what it is, figure out how to file it and index it, etc.
> That is probably true but it will be very expensive to do so.

Leave them well sorted and filed now? It's taking a while but we're
managing with the files in the Archive. You have to make them want to
do it...
> And some think that CD's and DVD's will only last for 20-30 years.

I have some that have only lasted 4. I'm told that the ones with the
gold-coloured finish last better than the silvery ones.
Lesley Robertson

This thread: