GENMSC-L Archives

Archiver > GENMSC > 2002-06 > 1025110071

From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: Professor
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:47:51 -0500

There are lots of subtle but important distinctions .. and these
vary in shading of meaning from school to school (in all the meanings
of school!)

For example, I went to Harvard. I went to Harvard University, that is,
but NOT Harvard College. There is a big difference in shading of meaning
and prestige. I was a grad student in the Chemistry Department. This
is not as prestigeous Harvard-wise as going to Harvard College, which
implies that you were an undergraduate there. Undergraduate is more
prestigeous because more super-rich and super-powerful people go to
or come from it than from the grad school.

Of course different graduate departments have different prestiges too,
Chemistry is very near the top; working for a Nobel prize winner helps
too.

Doug McDonald

This thread: