GENMSC-L Archives

Archiver > GENMSC > 2002-02 > 1013260524

From: (J. Hugh Sullivan)
Subject: Re: ancestry.com? Is it worth it?
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 13:15:24 GMT

On Fri, 08 Feb 2002 19:05:51 GMT, (dnc in tennessee)
wrote:

>ancestry.com is advertised on nearly every page I see when
>searching for records. I decided to do a search on their
>site and it came up with literally hundreds of answers.
>
>ancestry.com has a fee, the one I would "want" is that $120+
>subscription.
>
>Questions
>
>1. Do you subscribe to ancestry.com and does it really have
>things that cannot be found online?
>

>I do not want to spend that much money only to find the
>information the same quality or worse quality than I've
>already found on my own.
>
>I wish they would allow a "sample" of a search so I would
>get an idea of what I would be buying from them
>
>So, anyone already subscribed to ancestry.com and are happy
>or very happy?
>
>ancestry.com claims to have marriage records for dates that
>I would have to go to the court house in person to get.
>If this is true then It might even be worth it.
>
>I'm just very worried that I might be wasting my money.
>
>Please give some guidance if you can.
>
>Thanks,

I have subscribed to Ancestry.com and probably will again when this
subscription expires. Whether you subscribe obviously depends on what
you're looking for and the size of your checkbook.

I use the census records to fill in names, locations,
immigration/migration patterns, etc. and as confirmation for what I
already have from 1790 forward. I find very little to help me prior to
1790. If your family was prominent there are sources all over the
internet; if not, sources are scarce. You wind up building your case
on preponderance of evidence.

My probable ggg grandfather named one girl and "other children" in his
will - and he apparently did not own land. I found the number of
people "in his household" in the 1790, 1800 and 1810 censuses. Since
that agrees with what I believe to be his actual family, I theorize my
ancestry and look for, probably non-existent, proof. I can go from my
bed to the computer - I have to dress differently to go to the library
to check census records. 8-)

Hugh

This thread: