GENMSC-L Archives

Archiver > GENMSC > 2001-07 > 0994553387


From: Robert Heiling <>
Subject: Re: Has RootsWeb Review gone berserk?
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 17:49:47 -0700
References: <9i7e1c$r3r$1@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>, <3B474AEE.ADA8CF83@qwest.net>, <T3N17.4728$4B5.29155@news-server.bigpond.net.au>


johnf wrote:

> Hey, Bob & Richard. If you want to continue squabbling between
> yourselves, do it off-group please.

It was over with until you couldn't resist getting your 2 cents in and
top-posting like a newbie in the process. Get a life John. You aren't
moderator or owner of anything around here.

Bob

> -- John Ferguson
> (To reply, ensure my address ends with .net.au)
>
> "Robert Heiling" <> wrote in message
> news:...
> > "Richard A. Pence" wrote:
> >
> > > "Robert Heiling" <> wrote in message
> > > news:...
> > > > "Richard A. Pence" wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > > > You don't suffer from a lack of poor analogies. What
> > > > if your mother had observed an impurity in that ice
> > > > cream? or broken glass? Should she have remained
> > > > silent? What if a company were handing out dangerous
> > > > toys to children. Should nobody say anything?
> > >
> > > Well, talk about your poor analogies.
> >
> > I see. The best defense is an offense and to avoid the issue. Just
> > because something is "free" does not mean that it is harmless or
> isn't a
> > worthless waste of time & effort. Let's try to use a little common
> > sense.
> >
> > > In what possible way
> > > can a web site pose a danger to you?
> >
> > Do you mean "danger" as in 911 call? or are you realistic enough to
> > agree that real and potential lost time & effort is a "danger" also?
> >
> > > > Besides! There's a buck in it for Ancestry/Rootsweb
> > > > or they wouldn't be doing it.
> > >
> > > That wasn't the question. It is whether it is your buck.
> >
> > Yes, it's mine and that of others like me.
> >
> > > > What you are talking about is not "free" and there is
> > > > competition in the field. But that's another whole topic.
> > >
> > > If it is not free, then perhaps you can tell me how much it
> > > has been costing you to get the forums at RW or Ancestry?
> >
> > Your definition of "free" seems to be situational, as in
> "situational
> > ethics". Just reading your mind, I assume that you mean that there
> is
> > no subscription charge for those?
> >
> > However, how much of my monthly DSL & ISP charges should I allocate
> to
> > those? Assuming my time has value, how much of that should I
> allocate
> > after determining an hourly rate? How much of my time has been
> wasted
> > fixing broken bookmarks etc this past week?
> >
> > > <snip>
> > > Naturally, you chose to avoid the point again. The point was
> > > that what is "bad form" is blaming someone for something
> > > they are not responsible for
> >
> > Then it hasn't been established that there was "bad form" since the
> > responsibility has not as yet been determined. The jury is still
> out.
> >
> > > and complaining when something
> > > free doesn't suit you.
> >
> > You sure are fixated on "free" and have been preaching that
> > free=good=beyond reproach etc. Do you return all that junk mail
> with
> > free offers?<vbg>
> >
> > Let me just say very seriously that the Ancestry message boards as a
> > piece of computer software have no value whatsoever until people
> post.
> > It's the posters who create any value there.
> >
> > > Whether I disagree with you isn't
> > > pertinent.
> >
> > Then why have you been disagreeing?<lol>
> >
> > > Regards,
> > > Richard
> >
> > Bob
> >
> >


This thread: