GENMSC-L Archives

Archiver > GENMSC > 2001-07 > 0994447455

From: Robert Heiling <>
Subject: Re: Has RootsWeb Review gone berserk?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:24:15 -0700

"Richard A. Pence" wrote:

> "Robert Heiling" <> wrote in message
> > "Richard A. Pence" wrote:
>
> > > The unified list should make it
> > > unlikely that he and he alone would get multiple copies.
>
> > That's for sure.... except for recent mishaps. "He alone"?
> > Isn't that a big assumption?
>
> You know something, Bob? When I wrote that I knew damned well you
> would smart-mouth it. I didn't add the obvious "has said this is a
> problem" just to see if my hunch was correct.

What? pray tell, is "smart-mouth" about pointing that out. And another
person has now reported the same problem.

> > > A real possibility is that he has a bad message on his ISP's
> > <snip> Not just One "bad message", but TWO!<lol> and
> > it/they just happen to be the RootsWeb ones instead of
> > some other email he received. Consider the odds on that
> > and then put the blame where it belongs on the Ancestry
> > operation that has been screwing up so badly this week.
>
> Robert, you didn't pay attention to what I said so I'll go a bit
> more slowly this time. It will give you more time to think up more
> know-it-all remarks.

You in a bad mood today Dick?

> I didn't say RWR and ML were bad messages. Nor did I "blame" the
> ISP.
>
> It would not be unusual for RWR and ML to be in sequence at the
> ISP mail server because both are usually sent in the wee hours
> when no other messages would be entering the que.

*Whose* wee hours? We are international here, aren't we?

> If the next
> message following these two were corrupted <snip>
> the entire backlog reached me and the server reset the message
> pointer.

Yeah yeah. What a marvelous coincidence. Wild theory, but now a second
person has reported the problem. Does he also have a bad message?

> I know you are a helluva lot smarter than I, so perhaps you have
> an reasonable alternate explanation as to why one person (so far
> reporting) has received multiple copies of these newsletters and
> (as yet) there are no other reports of this happening?

I gave you my explanation previously. Ancestry/Rootsweb/etc screwed up!

> Bob, I don't know why you have such a big burr on your butt about
> Ancestry.com

Because of the way they have mishandled this conversion! As my entire
professional career has been in programming & computer operations and
management of same, I've been through many such conversions. I'm proud
to say that I never once had such a disaster as Ancestry has.

> , but since both the forums of RootsWeb and
> Ancestry.com have been free services, it might be reasonable to
> allow the company to try and ccmbine duplicate operations

I'd have been happy to see them combine duplicate operations in a
competent manner.

> so it
> can more inexpensively provide us this free service. Or you can
> continue to bitch just as if you paid for it.

I call them as I see them. Price isn't a factor in that.

> Regards,
> Richard

Bob

This thread: