GENMSC-L Archives

Archiver > GENMSC > 2001-07 > 0994429668

From: "Richard A. Pence" <>
Subject: Re: Has RootsWeb Review gone berserk?
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:27:48 -0400

"Robert Heiling" <> wrote in message
news:...
> " . . . We will be working hard to help you learn
> about the features of the new system so that they
> can continue to function as important research
> tools. Please help us by being communicative yet
> patient as we launch the new system.

> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Jake Gehring
> Product Manager
> Ancestry.com"

> Unquote<vbg>

> Bob

Bob, it is convenient to toss rocks at Ancestry this week, but I
don't think Jake (or ancestry.com) has anything at all to do with
Missing Links or RootsWeb Review. Both these newsletters are tied
the mailing lists hosted by RootsWeb and I don't think anything
has been done to incorporate those into any ancestry.com
operation.

RootsWeb Review and Missing Links are sent to everyone who
participates in a mailing list hosted by RootsWeb (except those
who opt out). What puzzles me is that I thought there is one
unified list for each of these publications - that is, no matter
how many different mailing list one subscribes to, only one copy
of ML or RWR should be received. The unified list should make it
unlikely that he and he alone would get multiple copies.

A real possibility is that he has a bad message on his ISP's mail
server and the two newsletters are sent each time he connects or
requests messages and then hangs on the bad message, only to
repeat again the next time. If he has his mailer set to repeatedly
and often page for messages, then he would get these two each
time. I had something similar happen to me about two weeks ago.
Once I got the bad message deleted (called tech support) I stopped
getting the same messages sent to me repeatedly.

Regards,
Richard

This thread: