GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1997-11 > 0880056201

From: Jim Roache< >
Subject: Re: Pendergast
Date: 20 Nov 1997 12:03:21 -0800

These are some common spellings of Prendergast
1)de Prendergast 2)Prendergast 3)Pendergast 4)Pendergrast 5)Prendergrast
6)Pendergass 7)Pendergrass 8)Prindergast 9)Prenegast 10)Prenliregast
11)Pendegast 12)Pendegass 13)Predegrast 14)Prenergast 15)Prendygast
16)Prenderguest 17)Pendegraph 18)Pendergraft 19)Pendagraff 20)Pendergaste
21)Pendergas 22)Pendergust 23)Pender 24)Pendergist

Some meanings of the Prendergast's name
Prendergast:of uncertain origin:it is said by the bearers of the name,to
be Flemish settlers in Normandy,who had taken there name from a lost
place.Brontegeest(Prentagast)in Flanders near Ghent.Either northern Belgium,
or northern France.

Flemings(Teutonic origin).

The name Prendergast is said to have been brought to England by a Norman
knight by the name of Prenliregast. He was a follower of William the
Conqueror. Prenliregast's oldest son Phillip was given lands in
Pembrokeshire, and he renamed it Prendergast Castle.The Prenegast in
Berwick, members of the Welsh branch, also takes it name from this family.
It was this oldest son who persuaded the FitzGodeberts (de Roch) to try
their luck in Ireland.

Maurice de Prendergast, one of four Cambro-Norman leaders to invade Ireland
in May 1169 played a prominent role with Strongbow when he followed to
Ireland in August 1170. Maurice de Prendergast married a Fitzgerald (one of
"the geraldines" so closely associated in history with Strongbow. Their
youngest son William acquired lands in New Castle near the town of Clonmel
in County Tipperary, the family seat for several centuries.

Sir Maurice De Prendergast, a Pembrokeshire Knight, was among the
companions of Strongbow, Earl of Pembroke, in his expedition to Ireland. He
became Governor of the county and city of Cork, built Ardfinnan Castle
(which commands one of the most important crossing of the river Suir)
1199-1216 and had extensive grants of land in Cos. Tipperary, Waterford,
Wicklow and Wexfotd. In 1177, he made over Castle de Prendergast in
Pembrokeshire to the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, and having subsequently
joined the Hospitallers, himself died a Prior of the Order at Kilmainham
near Dublin in 1205, leaving with a younger son, Gerald, who founded a
branch of the family in co. Mayo [generally known by the Irish name of
MacMaurice of MacMorrish now represented in the Castle Macgarret branch by
Lord Oranmore (see Burke"s Peerage,Oranmore B., and Gort., V,)]. An elder
son, PHILIP DE PRENDERGAST went originally with his father to Ireland,
received the town of Enniscorthy in exchange for other lands 1217, married
about 1190, Maude (d.a. 1231) daughter of Robert de Quinay, Constable and
Standard Bearer of Leinster and died himself in 1226 having had with other
issue extinct in the male line, a son, PHILIP, Lord of Manor of Drangan, Co.
Tipperary. Wherever the family went the de Roch (de Rupe) family was there.

For more, visit their page at http://members.aol.com/DePrender/index.html

Mine at: http://www.echelon.ca/jfroache/add3.html

Jim

Jim

> Subject: Re: PENDERGAST
> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:35:48 +0000
> From: Barney Tyrwhitt-Drake <>
>
> In article <>, SOffineer
> <> writes
>
> >Is Pendergast an Irish name? My mother says it is, but I have not seen
> >anything even similar to it here. I hope this isn't a stupid question.
>
> Not at all. PENDERGAST and PRENDERGAST are variants on the same Norman
> French name. The family migrated from Normandy to Britain shortly after
> the Norman Conquest and settled briefly at the village of Prendergast in
> Pembrokeshire, West Wales. From there they were part of the Norman
> settlements in Ireland.
>
> --
> Barney Tyrwhitt-Drake
>
> Drake Software web site at http://www.tdrake.demon.co.u