GENEALOGY-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > GENEALOGY-DNA > 2007-03 > 1175292121

From: Michael Maddi <>
Subject: [DNA] mtDNA haplogroup in L0a1 in Sicily
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:02:01 -0700 (PDT)

One of the newer members of the Sicily Project
received his HVR1 results this afternoon. I was
surprised when I saw that he is in haplogroup L0a1.

Of course, this is part of the L haplogroup which is
mainly found in African and among those of African
descent. I looked at FTDNA's description of the
haplogroup on his "mtDNA Results" tab. Here is their
little write-up:

"Haplogroup L is a highly diverse haplogroup
encompassing many sub-haplogroups, and is generally
accepted to be the root haplogroup of all
mitochondrial haplogroups. It is in highest frequency
in Africa, which is consistent with an origin in
Africa. This super-haplogroup dates to approximately
150,000 years, a date which represents the origin of
modern humans as inferred from mitochondrial data."

He has given FTDNA the information that both his
paternal and maternal lines are from Sicily. I will
double check this with him.

This seems to be a rare result for someone with a
Sicilian maternal line, even as close as North Africa
is to Sicily. Does anybody know about the frequency of
the L haplogroup in southern Europe? Also, does anyone
know any specifics about the distribution of L0a1 in
Africa, as far as geography?

Mike Maddi

Get your own web address.