GENEALOGY-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > GENEALOGY-DNA > 2006-02 > 1139067846

From: "Alfred A. Aburto Jr." <>
Subject: [DNA] J2 in Galicia & Cantabria Spain...
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 07:44:50 -0800

[was Re: [DNA] Haplogroup N1 versus A2 versus D3]

> grandcross wrote:

> Al wrote:
>
> I'm a Y chromosome J2 though,
> which is a bit odd for a Basque person. But I have found recently that
> there is an area in Northern Spain, adjacent to Basque Country, where J2
> is a fairely high percentage of the population (Galicia Spain, and
> Cantabria Spain).
>
> The Cantabria region is close to Basque country, but Galicia is nearly
> 200 miles away so hardly "adjacent" (I know because I have walked that
> route). There is a great diversity of peoples along this magnificent
> stretch of land so, regardless of ethnic identity, you have reason to
> be proud of your deep ancestry.

Sorry, and yes, I was sloppy there.
The article I read was about the peoples and their DNA in Galicia &
Cantabria Spain. Even though the Y chromosome J haplogroup is rare
overall in Spain (perhaps as a result of the expulsion of the Jews and
Moors in the 15'th century) in Galicia and Cantabria J is strong. There
is an area in northern Galicia (Marina Lucense) where J (the data says
J2 but the article shows just J was tested, 12f2) where J is 32 percent
of the population and an area in Cantabria (Liebana Valley) where J is
18% of the population, and Cantabria sits right there next to Basque
Country. The frequency of J drops as one move closer to Basque Country.
Still the "Aburto" surname (or an earliar version "Agurto") seems to
have originated in Basque Country, near a place called Derio ("on the
road to Mungia"). There are more J's in Galicia and more people have
emigrated from there than immigrated. In the 18'th century the economy
of Galicia collapsed and many people left for the "New World". They went
to Argentina (there are many J2's in Buenos Aires today), Brazil,
Venezuela, Germany & France, and I'm sure other places. My branch of the
J2's came to the "New World" earliar though because I have found records
of "Aburto's" in Puebla & Vera Cruz Mexcio back to the 17'th century.

Sounds like a wonderful walking tour you had there! I have not been
there (Northern SPain). I did drive around in Southern Spain though. I
was in the US Navy then and our ship broke down in Rota Spain so I
rented an old car, with holes in its muffler I remember :-), no one
seemed to mind, and drove all around Southern Spain. It was great, even
though I could speak very little Spanish!
Thanks for writing!,
Al

PS: If you'd like a copy of that article I will send it. It is by Maria
Brion, "Micro-geographical differentiation in Northern Iberia revealed
by Y-chromosome DNA analysis", Gene 329 (2004):17-25

This thread: