GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2010-06 > 1277428403

From: Mike Ferguson <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Genbox and the future
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:13:23 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Dave on the marketing issue. While the rejoinder will doubtless be, "you only paid for what you got, i.e the version you purchased", which is true, one is also investing time in learning a program which means one will be reluctant to change. Thus future considerations do play a part in present purchasing decisions. Plus lack of marketing is paired with poor communication with existing customers. While Bill might communicate with beta testers, he doesn't with the rest.

But re sourcing I agree with Cheri 100%. It is nice to have current predefined templates. But the ability to control everything yourself is critical. Especially since citation standards have changed over the decade between Evidence and EE!, and thus will likely change again. But the price of that better ability to control sourcing oneself should not be the poor documentation that exists. Especially since we all would pitch in and write the documentation in wiki form, along with examples of how we individually use the program. But despite an older wiki link on Bill's site, there has never been a good easy to find effort at such wiki style user generated documentation, at least that I am aware of.

I love Genbox and it is better than TMG by far in sourcing which is #1 on my list of critical features. Why TMG does not just copy everything in Genbox it lacks I don't know, because that along with more regular incremental updates, communication and marketing would kill Genbox even without the fancy cruises and talks at conferences.

Having programmed for a living for a short while a couple decades ago, and knowing many programmers then and now, I have always seen many programmers who don't like the business end of programming, and also don't focus well themselves without direction from a team leader. Bill seems to fit that model. It is a shame he can't partner with someone willing to do the business end properly.

Mike