GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2010-06 > 1277428403

From: Mike Ferguson <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Genbox and the future
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
References: <AANLkTimUXDWwRMe-zqYP1HtzPs_cAd3cDLIM8EgTXJkf@mail.gmail.com><4C22576B.300@gmx.net> <000601cb1317$11b37420$351a5c60$@com><002301cb1334$4faf3260$ef0d9720$@mossfritch@comcast.net><000901cb13f2$bbcbcc60$33636520$@baldwin@family-passages.com><000001cb13fd$32d62620$98827260$@com>
In-Reply-To: <000001cb13fd$32d62620$98827260$@com>

I agree with Dave on the marketing issue. While the rejoinder will doubtless be, "you only paid for what you got, i.e the version you purchased", which is true, one is also investing time in learning a program which means one will be reluctant to change. Thus future considerations do play a part in present purchasing decisions. Plus lack of marketing is paired with poor communication with existing customers. While Bill might communicate with beta testers, he doesn't with the rest.

But re sourcing I agree with Cheri 100%. It is nice to have current predefined templates. But the ability to control everything yourself is critical. Especially since citation standards have changed over the decade between Evidence and EE!, and thus will likely change again. But the price of that better ability to control sourcing oneself should not be the poor documentation that exists. Especially since we all would pitch in and write the documentation in wiki form, along with examples of how we individually use the program. But despite an older wiki link on Bill's site, there has never been a good easy to find effort at such wiki style user generated documentation, at least that I am aware of.

I love Genbox and it is better than TMG by far in sourcing which is #1 on my list of critical features. Why TMG does not just copy everything in Genbox it lacks I don't know, because that along with more regular incremental updates, communication and marketing would kill Genbox even without the fancy cruises and talks at conferences.

Having programmed for a living for a short while a couple decades ago, and knowing many programmers then and now, I have always seen many programmers who don't like the business end of programming, and also don't focus well themselves without direction from a team leader. Bill seems to fit that model. It is a shame he can't partner with someone willing to do the business end properly.

Mike

----- Original Message ----
From: Cheri Casper <>
Sent: Thu, June 24, 2010 8:27:29 PM
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Genbox and the future

I simply don't like the interface on such programs as Roots Magic and
Legacy. Nor do I like to have to keep flipping around to add a source, or a
note, or a media file. And if I want to see ALL of the events for an
individual, I have to click on their name. I much prefer the way GenBox
displays the information and I like seeing every event for an individual
displayed immediately. And having a customizable screen with various
windows open simultaneously is a bonus.

Nor do I like the way Roots Magic handles sources because I don't see how
the user can control the contents of the source -- it appears that the
developers have made all the decisions about what elements go into each
source and the order in which those elements are linked/output. I like
GenBox because "I" have the control, someone else isn't making the decisions
for me. And you will have to remember that Genbox came out BEFORE EE was
published. No doubt v.4 will have templates more closely aligned to EE.
But Mills keeps changing her mind on how sources should be formed -- I have
the original book, 2 Quick Sheets, and EE and there are variations from one
to the other. With GB is very easy to modify your templates globally. How
do you link a lower source to a higher source in RM? How to you have your
extract/transcription output in your foot/endnotes? How to you modify a
source template to match the whims of the expert?

And I fail how to see how marketing (or lack thereof) would influences one
purchasing decisions. Either the software meets your wants and needs or it
doesn't. It is as simple as that. If marketing were the factor, we'd all
be using TMG. Thank God marketing didn't influence my decision because as
Wim says, it is until death do us part for Genbox and me.

IMHO. CheriC

From: [mailto:] On
Behalf Of Peggy Baldwin at Family Passages
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:13 PM
To: 'Peggy Baldwin at Family Passages';
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Genbox and the future

That last sentence is supposed to say "now RootsMagic," not "not"!

From: Peggy Baldwin at Family Passages
[mailto:]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:05 PM
To: ''
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Genbox and the future

I'll start with a disclaimer. I have left GenBox for RootsMagic. RootsMagic
4.0 has much easier sourcing than GenBox and the templates are much closer
to real Evidence Explained standards. It has shared events (witnessing).

What has always troubled me the most about GenBox is the almost complete
lack of marketing, and no response from Bill Flight about the necessity for
this. I finally got over the poor documentation, but it was a big stumbling
block when I began.

I have also used extensively Legacy, TMG, GenBox, and not RootsMagic. There
is no perfect software. To each his (her) own.

Peggy

Peggy Baldwin, MLS
Family Passages LLC
www.family-passages.com
503-916-9410
Pacific Northwest & Oregon Trail

From: [mailto:] On
Behalf Of Denise L. Moss-Fritch
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Genbox and the future

Reinhard,

Allow me to second Cherri's comments.

I have been using Genbox as my primary genealogy software since purchasing a
license in November 2002. (I am the fifth forum member, after Bill, at the
Genbox site.) At the time, and for a couple of years after, I was the review
editor for the APG Quarterly, so I say many new products, including Genbox.
While I am anxiously awaiting version 4, I do not plan to switch from Genbox
as my primary software.

In fact, I have gone a step further. My spouse and I have a family trust.
Per our attorney's suggestion, I am converting all my paper documentation to
electronic files. Those files, along with my database of information (and a
copy of Genbox) are being burned to DVDs and periodically update in our safe
deposit box. The trust includes instructions as to what organizations (all
in New Brunswick, Canada, the origin of my primary line) the current
information will be sent eventually. So you see, Genbox (at whatever
version) and my database will "live" long after I depart.

Best,

Denise L. Moss-Fritch

From: [mailto:] On
Behalf Of Cheri Casper
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Genbox and the future

Reinhard - I was one of the first to buy GB after its initial release
several years ago. I'd tried FTM, TMG, Kith & Kin, Cumberland Family Tree,
Legacy, and others and later tried Roots Magic. I've not been sorry in the
least. What is more, the users are helpful, Bill listens to what we want
and need, and the list has always been pleasant -- which is more than I can
say for other lists that I've been on.

There have been updates and bug fixes in the past and no doubt that will
continue once v.4 is released but for the time being Bill is focusing his
attention on development. Even if v.4 never hit the streets, I wouldn't for
one minute switch to anything else.

In the past I've "liked" some programs, but I LOVE this one. And if it is
any consolation, not even the beta testers are in the loop as to when v.4 is
expected.

That being said, I don't think you would be disappointed if you made the
switch now. You will be well on your way to having your places cleaned up
and your sources in the best shape ever when v.4 is available. That way you
can focus on all of the new & wonderful features that are waiting for us and
won't have to attend to the tedium of doing stuff you can already have out
of the way.

Just my 2 cents worth.

CheriC

From: [mailto:] On
Behalf Of Reinhard John
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Genbox and the future

Hi everybody,

I have been a passive member of the mailing list since I discovered
Genbox some months ago. The program has really interesting functions,
esp. the handling of source and places.
But I am still hesitating to buy GB: No updates and few information
about GB 4 (that has improved with Bill's tweets.

I hope that the new version will come this year...

Best regards,
Reinhard

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
in the subject and the body of the message

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
in the subject and the body of the message

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message