GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2008-09 > 1222200425

From: "Jim Winfrey" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Search Queries
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:07:05 -0400

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Cheri Casper <> wrote:
> Jim - You will need to do this in two steps:
>
> Events Tab: Event = Death
> Events Tab: Date = >1907
> Events Tab: Place = North Carolina
>
> Save the results into a Saved List. Then run part two:
>
> Events Tab: Event = Death
> Events Tab: Date = >1980
> Events Tab: Place = North Carolina
>
> Subtract the second set of results from your Saved List. You should now
> have a Saved List of everyone who died in North Carolina between 1908 and
> 1979.
>
> That being said, I've not monkeyed with using the Notes tab of the Search
> box. It maybe that you can then put the name of the master source into the
> Source field, go to the Match tab and use your Saved List in the
> Individual/List field. I think this will yield a search result for everyone
> with the desired criteria who HAS the master source attached. You would
> then have to subtract those results from the Saved List.
>
> If that doesn't give you the results you want, you can open the master
> source, look at the links tab, and then remove the individuals on the links
> tab from the Saved List. This is a bit tedious. I'm hoping that when Bill
> is done with v.4 we will have increased capabilities to search across
> multiple criteria in one fell swoop.
>
> CheriC

Thanks Cheri,

When I created the search Events -->Death, Date --> >1908, Place
-->North Carolina, United States, I got a whole bunch of strange
results like folks who died in Missouri (1 died in Brazil but still
make the list) and many folks who have no death place recorded. I
don't know what the search hierarchy is but it looks like it ignored
the Place.

Second question - is there a function for subtracting one list from
another (removing duplicate folks) or is a manual comparison and
removal. I couldn't find this in Help.

Thanks,

Jim

This thread: