GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2007-12 > 1196674074

From: "Genealogy Printers" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] FTM to Genbox - advice needed
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:27:54 -0000

s.lloyd9 wrote:
> Hello all,
> My cousin is presently using an old version of Family Tree maker, she
> has now downloaded GB and wants to know how to transfer her images
> out of FTM.
>
> How are the images stored in FTM? I'm going to suggest she makes a
> new folder in 'My Documents' specifically for her GB images and
> documents and links from GB to that. She's using Vista.
>
> Can anyone help us?
>
> Sally

We come across this problem quite often when processing customer files.

Images in FTM, unlike other genie programs are stored within the program
file itself, FTM does not use embedded links to the photos on your hard
drive.

There are 2 options as far as I know and neither of them are a quick fix.

Option 1. The photos are probably stored on the hard drive somewhere and
it's probable that the photos may be in more than one location, you will
have to locate all the photos and re-insert them into Genbox one at a time.

Option 2. If the photos are not stored in one location they can be a bit
difficult to locate, open FTM and form an All in One Family Tree, on the
Options, Items to include select to show the pictures on the tree. Create a
folder in My Documents and call it Family Tree Photos or some other name.
You will then have to zoom and scroll all over the tree and look at each
photo, right click on each photo and select to copy it, open a photo program
and paste the image into that, save that phot to the new folder and do this
for every photo on the tree and then insert the photos into Genbox.

In FTM the original photo can be moved on the hard drive and this will not
affect it appearing on the tree or family page, unlike Genbox if you move
the photo from where it was originally stored it will not appear next time
you open Genbox.

Best wishes
Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com