GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2007-09 > 1190051896

From: Don Zochert <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] The best things about Genbox?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:58:16 -0500

Sally,

Among the first things that attracted me to Genbox were (1) the
provision for so easily writing and attaching notes to events and (2)
the powerful, easy-to-use system of sourcing and citations.

The first of these lets me add all manner of documentation to an item
without any structural restrictions. The note "tablets" are visible
almost anywhere you go and they're easily expanded to a larger size if
the default is not large enough. I also use the notes for analysis,
comments, notes to myself, etc.

The sourcing system is very sophisticated, with its different levels of
sources. But I use it in a very simple way. Instead of using source
template codes and levels, I compose the format of each source
individually in a free-form custom source template. I still have great
flexibility and easy changes, and I have everything exactly as I want
it. In addition, Genbox seems to be the only program with an embedded
citation system that actually works. I embed citations a lot--within
paragraphs of a narrative and even within analytical comments in
research notes.

Other things you might touch upon in your presentation are: (a) Genbox's
flexibility in terms of organizing your screen and moving around within
the program; (b) the power of the Lists View in quickly accessing key
data; (c) the clean and powerful graphing function; (d) the program's
over-all speed.

Don Zochert

This thread: