GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2007-04 > 1177668135

From: "John Driver" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Age at Marriage
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:02:15 +0100

** Reply to message from "Cheri Casper" <> on Thu, 26 Apr
2007 09:38:54 -0700

Thank you again, Cheri. I hadn't fully realised how flexible the age box on
the event page could be, and I can start using this right away.

As for the General Note box, I think you have pointed the way to the solution I
wanted, I just need to do a bit more study and work out my strategy. It's the
old story of "Try reading the manual" (once you know which bit to read!). I
hadn't woken up to the idea of structuring the note by using field notes like
[P1] and [P2] in the General Note of a directional event type.

By the way, did you make all your marriages directional, or create a new event
type just for the cases where it was advantageous?

John

> John - As I pointed out in my earlier post, you can accomplish exactly what
> you want by making the marriage event directional, creating sentences for
> each direction, and adding the appropriate extra info in an unused field (I
> use General Note; you can probably use the Detail field).
>
> Also note that in the Age field for an event, you can type in anything. So
> if you want the words "full age" to appear in the sentence as opposed to a
> numerical value, simply type that into the age box for each person on the
> marriage event and add the age variable to the sentence.
>
> CheriC

J E S Driver
London, England
27 Apr 2007, 11:02:15