GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2006-12 > 1166111821

From: kql <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] FW: help needed by newbie
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:56:42 -0800

Allen, Geoff (Energy Wholesale) wrote:
> but my question is
> how do others store / name their files?
>
> I was considering setting up a sub-folder within the Genbox directory
> (thereby allowing full back-up by the program) called something like
> 'census', then having a further sub-folder for each census year (1841,
> 1851 etc.) But what would others recommend that I name the file. My
> thoughts were that I would either name it by its census reference (e.g.
> RG9_2060, Folio 91, Page 13) or by the address (Dixon's Green, Dudley).

There are probably many ways to organize information, but it always
helps to see examples from others. So here's what I do:

I have a file system very similar to the one Cheri described:
> Within the Genealogy folder, I keep a subfolder for various family
> surnames:Anderson, Casper, Derrington, Johnson, Miner, Allison, etc.

Whereas Cheri names all her documents with a code (e.g., CEN, MARR) to
indicate the type of document, I have subfolders for document types:
Vital Records, Church Records, Land Records, Military, etc. This
matches the paper folders I maintain. The files within the subfolders
are then named by person, e.g., in my Lenerz > Obit folder are files
named: LENERZ Johann and SCHNEIDER Susanna.

The exception to this system is census images. They are all kept in a
folder called Census that is in the same level of the folder hierarchy
as the surname folders. The files within this subfolder are named by
location instead of by name of head of household. Why the exception?
1. For several generations my ancestors in almost every family lived in
the same small area, so families from different branches of ancestors
are often found on the same page of the census. If I put the images in
the surname folders, I'd either have to duplicate some of them or create
a cross-reference file to be able to find the census images that contain
members of both the Lenerz and Schwarz families, for example. 2. Adults
are often found in the households of their parents or children, so some
system would also have to be devised for finding them, as well. 3.
There are a lot of people in my database with the same name, eg., about
a half dozen Joseph Churchills in the same generation, and those two
Mathias Mefferts who married my grandfather's sisters. If I named my
files by head of household, it would be difficult to distinguish one
from the other.

So my naming convention for census images relies on location, going from
the largest political unit to the smallest:

WIDaneRoxbury1900-1 = Wisconsin, Dane County, Town of Roxbury, 1900
census, image 1
NYMonroeRochester11Wd1910-1 = New York, Monroe County, Rochester, 11th
ward, image 1

As I often have many census images from the same enumeration district,
"image 1" indicates which image it is. I have about 500 census images
indexed in a spreadsheet file. Each tab within the spreadsheet is one
family and is set up as an indented descendant file: Column 1 is the
oldest generation, col. 2 the next, and so on. There are then columns
for 1850-1930, where the name of the census file for that person is
listed. I have linked all my census images in GB to the HoH's Census
event. If I'm not in GB, though, and I want to find the 1930 census for
the Mathias Meffert who married Anna Lenerz, I can go to the Lenerz tab
of the spreadsheet, scroll down to the sixth child of John Lenerz, then
look in the 1930 column to find the name of the census file. This
spreadsheet then also functions as my "todo" list for the census-- if no
census image is listed, I know I need to obtain one for that family in
that year.

As of yet, I haven't obtained digitized versions of my UK census prints,
which were obtained before the UK census was online, but when I do, I
will follow the same file naming convention, e.g.,
WRYKirkburtonShelley1851-1 (West Riding of Yorkshire, Parish of
Kirkburton, Town of Shelley, 1851 census, image 1).

Good luck with whatever system you decide on,
Kathy

This thread: