GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2006-12 > 1165912953

From: "Allen, Geoff \(Energy Wholesale\)" <>
Subject: [GENBOX] FW: help needed by newbie
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:42:33 -0000

The recent discussion on the recording of census' has been very
interesting and only goes to show that there are numerous ways in which
to record your sources, and that you have to make an informed choice
early on in your research (if you want to avoid making major changes
later) dependent on how you want your data to output. Personally I have
recorded the source against each individual, which whilst it does
increase the amount of data input required, does mean that each
individual has his / her own history in their own right.

However what I haven't yet done is link copies of the scanned census
with the individual in Genbox. I know how to do this, but my question is
how do others store / name their files?

I was considering setting up a sub-folder within the Genbox directory
(thereby allowing full back-up by the program) called something like
'census', then having a further sub-folder for each census year (1841,
1851 etc.) But what would others recommend that I name the file. My
thoughts were that I would either name it by its census reference (e.g.
RG9_2060, Folio 91, Page 13) or by the address (Dixon's Green, Dudley).

Your observations would be most welcome.

Regards,

Geoff Allen