GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2006-10 > 1161102064

From: "Roger Nelson" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Struggling with sources
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:21:04 +0100

What I do is probably wrong but suits me.
eg a reference found in 1881 census
I have the Source as the census ie 1881 when it was taken, who took it and
where I can get copies of returns to check, should in 100 years time someone
wants to check where my information came from (This assumes the 1881 census
will still be available at all). This can be used every time I have a 1881
census return with a person I want in my database. Then my Citation gives
the specific RG No. Source/Piece and page number. If necessary I sometimes
add details which are important, i.e. servant in the household of Mr X or
living with Cousin ect which can be included as witness, or other
interesting details from the return, but then Occupation, Lived at, all can
be found from same Census added to your database and have similar citation,
the details of the specific return. as the same source is the 1881 census.

Roger