GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2005-06 > 1119455371

From: "James Capobianco" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Ellipses in Citation Annotations
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:49:31 -0400

Kathy,

I concur completely. It is hard, though, to break people (including me) of the two space habit, since it has become so ingrained in what the "right" way to type is.

If you check with three of the major style guides (MLA, APA, Chicago) you will see that they all recommend only one space after a sentence:

Chicago (p.243, 15th ed.)
6.11, Space between sentences. In typeset matter, one space, not two (in other words, a regular word space), follows any mark of punctuation that ends a sentence, whether a period, a colon, a question mark, an exclamation point, or closing quotation mark.

APA (p.290, 5th ed.)
5.11. Spacing and Punctuation
Space once after all punctuation as follows:
- after commas, colons, and semicolons;
- after punctuation marks at the end of sentences;

MLA (pp.93-4, 6th ed.)
3.2.12. Spacing after Concluding Punctuation Marks
Publications in the United States today usually have the same spacing after a period, a question mark, or an exclamation point as between words on the same line. Since word processors make available the same fonts used by typesetters for printed works, many writers, influenced by the look of typeset publications, now leave only one space after a concluding punctuation mark. In addition, most publishers' guidelines for preparing a manuscript on disk ask professional authors to type only the spaces that are to appear in print.

Best,

James