GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2005-02 > 1108461872

From: "Anne Hildrum" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Import of place names from GEDCOM
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:04:32 +0100

From: Geir Thorud
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 11:12 PM
Subject: SV: [GENBOX] Import of place names from GEDCOM

>> > In any case I am sceptic to such an algorithm as long as the
>> > same name may appear at many leves in a hierarchy.
>
>> In that case there were probably 'inconsistencies' in the
>> placelevels in the
>> imported file. When you have a place appear more than once on different
>> levels, you will need to work out the inconsistencies in your
>> original file,
>> or in Genbox (= position them at the correct level and merge the different
<> place-records).

>What I intended to say is that a city may for example have the same name
>as a farm. Or a city may have the same name as the municiplaty it is located
>in
>(although municiplity is not a level in Genbox at the moment).
>(And there may be many farms and citys with the same name - but I am
>not shure that is a problem as long as the superior levels are different.)

>I know that I don't have inconsistencies in the Gedcom file.
>All names are exported by the same code, from the same database
>structure. And I have checked the file.

I guess you may be the only one not to have any inconsistencies in your
file as it is so easy to make them.
some examples.
You have the icelands of Hvaler, which consists of several icelands,
there are area names on some of the icelands and of course there are
farmnames there. So the Botne farm at Kirkøy might be natural to have as

Botne, Kirkøy, Hvaler, Østfold, Norway, now of course since Lia is a subfarm
under Botne that might have been reported as either
Lia under Botne, Kirkøy, Hvaler, Østfold, Norway, but as well be reported as
Lia, Botne, Kirkøy, Hvaler, Østfold, Norway

Now in the latter everything is on a higher level than in the first one.

Of course in some instances the Botne farm may be registered as just
Botne, Hvaler, Østfold or Botne, Kirkøy, Østfold. Just take one small little incostency
to make a mess.

>The problem is that Genbox does not handle Gedcom properly
>in this case - in my opinion.

So in the case of Lia and the two possibilities:

Lia under Botne, Kirkøy, Hvaler, Østfold, Norway
Lia, Botne, Kirkøy, Hvaler, Østfold, Norway

Do you expect Genbox to know that the two first in the latter is the
same as in th first one? As far as I see it the Gedcom coming in
is saying that the latter has one more level than the first one.

Now if you did have Lia,,Hvaler, Østfold Norway, it should be able
to know that this has thye same levels as the latter one due to the
two commaes, whether it does or not I don't know.

Anne

This thread: