GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2005-02 > 1108413734

From: "Geir Thorud" <>
Subject: SV: [GENBOX] Import of place names from GEDCOM
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:42:17 +0100

Hi Wim,

> Fra: wim prange [mailto:]

> When importing a gedcom file into a database, Genbox first uses the places
> allready available in the database. An existing placerecord (plus it's
> placelevel) is used as an 'anchor' to define placelevels for new
> placerecords . That's why the initial empty database has more than 400
> placerecords from the start.

It might help if the import algorithm is documented somewhere,
I can't find it.

In any case I am sceptic to such an algorithm as long as the same
name may appear at many leves in a hierarchy.

Also, the algorithm is flawed since it does not seem to
handle "empty" levels.

> You can 'aid' Genbox importing places through adding more (higher level)
> places for Norway before importing. When you change this empty, adapted,
> database to a GBXDBINI.GDZ (see helpfile), these places will then
> be able to map the places more correctly.
I don't belive that this is the way to do it, with hundreds of place names
you will then always have to make a new GBXDBINI.GDZ for example if you
receive a gedcom file from someone else with new places.
Also, the name depends on the language.

> I don't know what GB does with the gedcoms "Place_hierarchy",
> maybe uses it in a second mappingroutine?
Well, the basic simple function should be to allow the user to set up a
mapping
of hierarchies on import. This would fit better with the intentions of
Gedcom.
A fancy name recognition algorithm could be an option, perhaps to be applied
after import (and perhaps with an option to sugest duplicate merging
some time in the future ).

The current solution simply does not seem to work.

Gr. Geir