GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2005-02 > 1108402519

From: "wim prange" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Import of place names from GEDCOM
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:35:19 +0100

Hi Geir,

When importing a gedcom file into a database, Genbox first uses the places
allready available in the database. An existing placerecord (plus it's
placelevel) is used as an 'anchor' to define placelevels for new
placerecords . That's why the initial empty database has more than 400
placerecords from the start.
You can 'aid' Genbox importing places through adding more (higher level)
places for Norway before importing. When you change this empty, adapted,
database to a GBXDBINI.GDZ (see helpfile), these places will then be able to
map the places more correctly.

I don't know what GB does with the gedcoms "Place_hierarchy", maybe uses it
in a second mappingroutine?

Gr. Wim