GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2005-01 > 1104951179

From: "wim prange" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Secondary citation for multi-level sources
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:54:30 +0100

Hi all,

Kathy, the only solution I see would be to use Lead Text and CD in
combination with a single level Source. It does indeed require extra work
(plus discipline) on data=entry.

In general, I think a second template should only spring into action when
the lower source is used again and that a different lower source should
always use the Primary Template (and repeat the entire higher source again).
Readers are usually interested in a small portion of the report and
end/footnotes are usually not read from beginning to end. I think they would
hate it to browse an entire notelist to find the first instance of "Britten
Baptisms".

On the other hand, when a great deal of the research/report is based on a
few Higher Sources, it would indeed be extremely redundant to see that
higher source repeated in the notes-list over and over again. So I do see a
need for a feature to make shorter references to a higher level source on
second use. It would require an extra template field I suppose but would
like to know what Bill's thoughts are about this.

The "Hereafter cited as" from Kathy's example would confuse me however, it
gives the impression that "Britten Baptisms" refers to "Magdalena Lenertz
baptismal record". When such a thing was possible, I would rephrase it to
something like "Parish register hereafter cited as".

Gr. Wim

This thread: