GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2005-01 > 1104943626

From: Don Zochert <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Secondary citation for multi-level sources
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:47:11 -0600

Kathy had a problem with the repetition of higher-level source
information in notes and wrote:

> 1. Any thoughts on this?

I must be missing something. Why do you want to split this particular
type of source, a parish register, into higher and lower levels?

A multi-level source in this case lets you cite the child's name, the
year of the baptism, and the page and entry number individually rather
than in the [CD]. But I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the
child's name and the date of baptism are in the text for which this is a
source citation, so it's not clear to me why this information needs to
be repeated in the citation. Isn't the citation to a page (and entry
number) in a parish register, just like a page reference in a book? (I
also don't see in your example how the [CD] of the template works in the
final citation; it doesn't appear to be used.)

To me, multi-level sourcing works best with things like an article in a
magazine or a contributed chapter in a book, where the [DOC AUTHOR] and
[DOC TITLE] are not only different from the higher source but the
difference is important in the citation.

I'm ready to be enlightened...

Don

This thread: