GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-09 > 1095428923

From: Michel Vuijlsteke <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Single Person Ancestor Charts
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:48:43 +0200

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was the extra bends that bothered you .

I personally find the example very scrunched up and not that visually
pleasing, but who am I? :)

I can get the boxes closer together
(, but
when I eliminate the spacing altogether there's no way to prevent
overlap of different sets of ancestors.

For the rest: yes, I've also experienced some of the same chart weirdness.

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:12:41 +0100, Phil Warn <> wrote:
> Robin,
> I am also one who has told Bill that the default options produce lines
> going through boxes, etc especially when using Chart/Everyone type charts .
> I have sent Bill a GEDCOM file and pointed out just one example of this problem
> Also, I can confirm unnecessary bends etc.
> I have suggested to Bill that his fundamental algorithm is not fully
> thought out.
> The other problem is what I call the "two marriage situation" where a
> second box with the spouses inverted is produced with often long dotted
> lines joining this pair of double boxes - many sheets of European A3 paper
> apart.
> I *do* not want to see this - Ron's clients do not want this. Does any one
> want this?
> Any marriage should be in a single box with links to parents and children
> being drawn to/from this one box.
> I hope this is clear
> Best wishes all,
> Phil.
> At 13:52 17/09/2004, Robin Lamacraft wrote:
> >Ron,
> >
> >You are discovering the ancestor aspect of my complaint about the layout
> >algorithm used by Genbox that I put up as the message "Charting - everyone
> >drop layout issues" on the 12 Sep 2004.
> >
> >Although Michael has make a suggestion about colouring the boxes, the more
> >fundamental problem is to get the nicely spaced out (without extra bends
> >lines from child to the mid-point of the parents' joining line) within
> >each generation.
> >
> >I have not found a satisfactory setting of the options that gives a good
> >outcome. This is something that Bill should look at. It would probably
> >help if were to put up an equivalent of the same chart using Genox so that
> >others can make the judgement for themselves.
> >
> >Robin
> ==== GENBOX Mailing List ====
> To join this list, send an email to with the word "subscribe" as the subject line. Then email your messages to and they will appear on this list.
> Collection with an free trial. Click to learn more.

This thread: