GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-05 > 1085352432

From: Kathy Lenerz <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Match Finder not working
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:47:41 -0400

wim prange wrote:
> Do these individuals have other Identifiers? Name Variants or Name Changes
> etc. You need to check the Identifiers-tab too: Genbox just shows the
> "preferred Indentifier" in the Possible Duplicates list. Sometimes the
> namevariant matches another namevariant.

I *had* been looking at their identifiers, and the only thing I saw in
common among matches was that they had the same surname. But I just looked
again and it finally got through my thick skull what was going on (Slaps
herself alongside the head!)-- When I imported, married names ended up as
"Other Name" variants, with only the surname as the Other Name. I've been
going through and creating "Name Change" variants using both given and
surname, but am not through with the cleanup yet. So anyone with the same
surname for the Other Name variant is identified as a match.

Thanks for your patience with me.
KQL

This thread: