GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-03 > 1079098439

From: "Paul J. Harris" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Template
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:33:59 -0500

Murray,

Trying to cut through the fog and address your desire to extend the
'template language,' you have stumbled on an area of limitation in templates
that I have to agree is limiting, though I probably agree for different
reasons. <g>

Problem: You can't EVALUATE a variable without IT being in the template
output. There have been a number of occasions when I have wished this were
not a limitation, when you could branch to different output based on an
evaluation of a variable, without printing the variable. I would agree that
this would be a useful function, but not for the number of marriages
scenario.

Like Cheri, if I know someone never married (single on death certificate) I
have a custom Event called 'Never Married', which is in the Death Class, so
it sorts right after the Death Event, even though it has no date. The
template for it is simply, "[P] never married." If someone married once or
more, then their marriage events stand in testimony of the number of
marriages. The number of marriages ATTRIBUTE, which creates an Event, has
limited use, as far as I'm concerned. The ONLY time I would use it would be
to record and generate output when I had evidence, say, that a person had
been married four times, but we can only find evidence of two of their
marriages.

Paul