GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-03 > 1079045670

From: Jim Winfrey <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] sourcing wizard
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:54:37 -0500

Cheri Casper wrote:
> Michel - Apparently we are going to have to agree to disagree. I have
> taught hundreds of people of all ages to use computers and I've found that
> even my senior citizens who have never touched a computer before quickly get
> the hang of it as well as of a variety of software programs. My genealogy
> software class focused in how to pick a software that met individual needs
> and students experimented with data entry & source creation in both Legacy
> and PAF (primarily because they were free programs and not because I felt
> they were better than other programs) and my students were quickly able to
> translate from one to the other--students who had never seen a genealogy
> software program, let alone use one. I would also venture to say that most
> people doing genealogy migrate through a few programs before they settle on
> one that meets their needs. No one was there with "dummy" options when I
> learned FTM, nor when I learned Legacy, nor when I learned TMG, nor when I
> learned Cumberland Family Tree, nor when I learned Relatively Yours, nor
> when I learned GenBox. The best learning is always experiential -- trial
> and error -- hands on -- checking out the references. Throughout my
> teaching career I have always been adamantly opposed to spoon feeding
> anyone. The purpose of any educational endeavor is not to learn all of the
> answers, but to learn how to use the resources at hand to find the answer.
> And that doesn't mean that the resources have to be at your immediate beck
> and call; you need to determine what information you need, where you can
> best obtain it, and then go after it to solve *any* problem.

You learned Relatively Yours? My esteem for you was already high but
now... My experience with RY2 was getting a phone call to demonstrate
it a week later at a genie society meeting a couple of years ago. Thank
heavens Bob Dalrymple was a great teacher. I learned enough to convince
me that Bob's mind was at a much higher level than I wanted to live at.
We lost a strong supporter when Bob died last week. I'm surprised
there wasn't much of an announcement about it.

Jim

This thread: