GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-03 > 1078259200

From: Kathy Lenerz <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Places (again)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:27:16 -0500

wim prange wrote:
> In a discussion with Kathy (I believe it was you Kathy? The Prussia-problem?)
> we worked out that there was a problem with shifting boundaries.

> Using bridgewording, I can get for instance Aalten, Germany (now
> Aalten, Netherlands) but I would have to enter the places in a rather strange
> way to get the desired output:
> create a namevariant . . .

Yes, Wim, you and I have had this discussion before. I think I've found
another workaround besides yours, but it's not pretty.
I entered the following as a Local Site with NO higher level place:
Greimerath, Kreis Trier-Saarburg, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
then added this name variant:
Greimerath, Rhine Province, Prussia
(also with NO higher level place).

For the variant:
On Output: variant (<wrd> standard)
Wording: now

This produces:
Greimerath, Rhine Province, Prussia (now Greimerath, Kreis
Trier-Saarburg, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany)

I really don't like the idea of concatenating different place levels
into a Local Place, but it seems to work. I'd rather something more
appropriate could be worked out.
Kathy

This thread: