GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-03 > 1078254191

From: Kathy Lenerz <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Places (again)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:04:22 -0500

Paul J. Harris wrote:
> The problem of multi-level historical changes still exists, though,
> e.g., Rhine Province (now Rheinland-Pfalz), Prussia (now Germany).
>
> Not sure what you mean by problem.

The problem with the above is:

A. It's grammatically awkward.
B. It's historically incorrect. Prussia is not now Germany. Part of
Prussia is in present-day Germany, part in Poland, part in other countries.

Solution to both A and B:
Greimerath, Rhine Province, Prussia (now in Kreis Trier-Saarburg,
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany)

Example 2:

Kirkheaton, West Riding (now West Yorkshire), Yorkshire, England

With the administrative reorganization in 1974, the West Riding of
Yorkshire got divied up among South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, North
Yorkshire, Cumbria, Humberside, and Lancashire (heaven forbid!). The
West Riding did not become West Yorkshire, as the above usage implies.

Above should read: Kirkheaton, West Riding, Yorkshire, England (now in
West Yorkshire)

I have a lot of places for which this type of change applies, and it's a
big deal to me (and to others who strive to be historically accurate).
The hierarchichal place structure has its merits, but as it's
currently functioning, can't properly deal with many historical
situations. As things now stand, it requires either a lot of editing of
output to correct things, or (since place notes don't print out) adding
the correct geographical phrase to the general notes of each and every
event.

Kathy

This thread: