GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-03 > 1078251714

From: "Paul J. Harris" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Places (again)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:21:55 -0500

Don,

One step at a time, seeking clarity. <g.>

>>1. Can you combine two of the variants? (If you delete a variant name,
aren't the sub-records linked to that variant then linked to the
standard name automatically?)

I think you are being precise with your terminology and you have asked two
different questions. The last, you are correct about. Whenever you delete a
name variant, its links are merged in with the Standard Name's links. The
answer to your first question, 'can you combine two variants?' is no----but,
at anytime, you can temporarily make a variant the standard by dragging it
to the top, then delete the variant you want merged in with it, then drag
your old Standard Name back to the top. Make sense?

If you want to combine all three, just delete the two variants.

>>2. If you have a standard name (123 Graveney Road, with a higher level
of Upper Tooting) and a variant name (123 Graveney Road, with no higher
levels) and you combine them by deleting the variant name listing, will
the place then appear with a higher level on event or source records
formerly linked to the variant?

Yes.

>>My specific case is:

1-Newton Township [standard; higher level: Muskingum County, Ohio]
2-Newton Township [variant; no higher level; many links]
3-Newton [variant; no higher level; many links]

>>I want to combine the variants (Query No. 1 above) and wonder about the
effects on the linked source and event records if I then (or instead)
combined a variant with the standard.

If I understand you correctly, you want to combine the links for #3 with #2,
but not necessarily #1. If you merger #3 into #2 as described above (by
dragging #2 to the Standard position at the top, then deleting #3), then all
of your linked events for both #2 and #3 with show 'Newton Township' with no
higher level. If you further delete #2, then all events will inherit the
higher levels of #1 and show "Newton Township, Muskingum County, Ohio.'

Best bet, make a backup, then experiment with different courses of action
and you'll soon see how it all works, which is very nicely, I might add.

Paul

This thread: