GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-02 > 1076460763

From: Jim Winfrey <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Genbox to PDA or laptop?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:52:43 -0500

Sally,

I'm not Cheri but I can answer this question. GB should run on any
Windows version after Win98. The easiest way to get GB on the new
machine would be to do a backup of your database(s), download the latest
build of GB and put both on a CD.

When you get the laptop, copy the GB build into the laptop's hard drive
and run it. I should self-install. If it doesn't go to the copy and
make sure the "Read Only" attribute flag is not checked. Then copy the
backup to wherever you want to keep backups and tell GB to restore the
database. That should take care of it.

Next question is how to keep the data on both your laptop and desktop
current. Logic says that periodically you would copy the most recent to
the machine with an older version. My problem with that was that I may
have edited BOTH databases and would lose the edits for one of them. I
utilize my home network and leave the active database on my desktop,
accessing it with my laptop from the desktop. When I travel, I copy it
to the laptop and immediately copy it to the desktop when I return.

Jim