GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-02 > 1076454615

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Genbox to PDA or laptop?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:10:44 -0800

Sally - I bought a PDA, played a few games of solitaire on it, tried
downloading Pocket Genealogist and futzing with that, let the backup battery
go dead, and gave it to my daughter who now uses it for everything. Then I
got a laptop which is what I take with me. Since the PDA doesn't syncronize
with your desktop genie program, it just seemed like it wasn't worth the
effort, although Pocket Genealogist is working with Legacy for two-way sync.
So what I do is move my database from my desktop to my laptop and then move
it back when I return. This way I don't have to worry about any syncs and
all my data is there, not just the basic stuff which is what you get with
any PDA software (well, you get a bit more, but I have maps and all kinds of
stuff in GB which I like having with me). Plus it also gives me an
opportunity to show off GB to others who express an interest.

Then there are, of course, those repositories where you can't take in a
laptop so I resort to stone tablets & a chisel! <g>

CheriC