GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-02 > 1075915741

From: "Paul J. Harris" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Married names in Individuals List
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:29:20 -0500

Don,

I'm not quite sure what you are asking when you say "display separately."

If you have the following Identifiers:

Birth Name Irby /Brown/
Name Change Irby /Lambert/

and you check BOTH of them to be Primary, then your header will display:

Irby Brown (Lambert)

which shows the married name in parentheses.

Now I think I know what you are talking about.

You want to know if you can get her to SHOW twice on the Individuals List? I
don't think so, as that list appears to be unique to the ID number.

If your goal is locating the person by a name variation or change, I think
using the Individual Filter Dialog or just the search capabilities of the
Header in the Individual View is more appropriate.

For example, if you can't remember the maiden name of the above person,
typing her married name in the header or filter should lead you to her
record. I like using the filter dialog, as I can see multiple possibilities
as I search. The header may or may not give you that opportunity.

Some people don't know that you can search for a name by reversing it such
as: "Lambert, Ir". This could be useful in this example if you don't know
her maiden name AND you are not sure if her first name is spelled Irby,
Irbby, or Irbbey. This would not only return most possible spellings of her
name, but anyone name Irving or Irwin, as well.

Paul