GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-02 > 1075855081

From: "Misty Bogle" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Citation Wish
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:38:01 -0500

Hi, Bill.

Well.....not exactly "low credibility" - that I'd just handle in the surety
level. The problem is that I may not know yet, and "undecided", being the
program default, can mislead me into thinking I just haven't gotten around
to assigning a surety level yet.

An example of this is when I'm working with a compiled source (i.e., a
cemetery transcript), and I've noticed with other family lines in the same
county that this particular cemetery transcript is fairly laden with known
errors. If I use that same transcript as a source for a new death date, and
it's the only source I have so far, then this source is a bit more "suspect"
than usual -- because I know I've had previous problems with that
transcript. But it MAY be perfectly correct -- I just won't know until I
get a confirming source.

Another example is when a census image is very hard to read -- it would be
nice to be able to flag these with a simple "Typo?" note, until I get a
confirming source that proves or disproves what I *think* it says.

Just my two cents' worth. Thanks for considering the topic!!

-- MLB