GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2004-01 > 1074627591

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Genbox FAQs
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:40:14 -0800

Joanna - Citations can refer to Events in their entirety (when you add the
citation by clicking on the radio button to the right of the Event name) or
to individual facts (by clicking to the right of an individual field such as
place, date, etc.). Therefore the Assertions tab should show you a
'summary' of where you attached the Citation by displaying the 'Type' and
'Context.'

Where in source populates the field held in the Source Formatting by the
[CD] variable. This is most often used for page numbers in a book, but
depending on how you set up your sources, could be used for other items.
Lead Text always precedes the citation. You can use this for a variety of
things or commentary. Annotation comes after the Citation itself.

Excerpts - This allows the user to transcribe/extract/abstract material from
a given source and add it to the Source definition on the Evidence tab. As
you add the Citations to Events and/or Facts you can then -- if you
desire -- select given portions of this 'evidence.' Such marked text will
precede the Citation and will be enclosed within quotations.

Names tab > Name in source - This would not apply to everyone in the
household. Since each event can have three principals, this is where you
would use the names of those three principals. A good example would be
where a couple adopted a child . . . 3 people. You do not need to fill in
this data UNLESS the name in the source differs from the name/Identifier
that you have already entered for the person. When names are entered on
this tab, a new Identifier is automatically created for the individual(s)
and the source is attached. For censuses you would either attach the census
to the head of household, or to a couple (if you have made the census have a
secondary link of spouse as I have). Others in the household would be
attached via the Witness feature or by giving each of those individuals
their own Census event. If you use the witness feature, you would add the
source in the Witness area of the Event screen to each individual person
listed as a witness and you could then add any "names" that don't correspond
with what you already have. A good example would be my grand-aunt Myrtle.
She was born Hazel May, but apparently started using the name "Myrtle M."
and is shown on the census that way. So her Birth Name is Hazel May and for
census records I could record Myrtle M. If you opt to give each person
his/her own Census event, you would add the Source to that person's event
and add the name, if appropriate but, again, only if the name on the census
differs from what the person's birth name was. I don't add new names merely
because the census taker couldn't spell, but only reserve that for something
unique as in the case above.

Hope this answers your questions.

CheriC