GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-10 > 1067317252

From: "Paul J. Harris" <>
Subject: [GENBOX] Citation Punctuation with Parentheses
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:01:00 -0500

Bill,

I have thousands of citations to William Wade Hinshaw, Encyclopedia of
American Quaker Genealogy, 6 vols. (Ann Arbor: Edwards Brothers, 1946).
Because it is so hard to locate a specific reference to a name on a page in
these volumes, I undertook a project last year to go back and include the
column and line numbers with the page number in the Citation Detail. I
decided to use a format that references the volume number, page number, then
column and line, thusly:

William Wade Hinshaw, Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, 6 vols.
(Ann Arbor: Edwards Brothers, 1946), 4:1056 (2.32).

This would be a citation to volume 4, page 1056, column 2, line 32. It was a
huge project and took significant time, but I have never regretted it, as it
makes going back for verification, etc, so much quicker and easier.

So, what's my problem? Well, if one of these citation details is followed by
another citation, and therefore separated by a semicolon, there is no
problem. However, if the Citation Detail is at the end of a string of
citations and should have a period after it, the period appears INSIDE the
closing parentheses:

4:1056 (2.32.)

Please fix. <g>

Let me know if there is anything you want me to check.

Paul

This thread: