GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-10 > 1065543147

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Illegitimate children/nontraditional families in Genbox
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:12:45 -0700

Phil - For unmarried couples I used the Marriage-Not event. Debbie Woolard
and I have both commented on the automatic assumption of a spousal
relationship when children involved. I am still optimistic that this will
be resolved. The assignment of Spouse 1, Spouse 2, etc. is normally based
on the marriage date. If you assign a Marriage-Not event with a date or
sort date, the relationships should sort correctly (you may have to compact
or change the focus to a different person and then come back for the changes
to be noticeable on screen).

Personally I would prefer that sentence generation required a variable or
variables before the spousal/parental text was triggered. That way your
default sentences could include the appropriate variables and in those
unusual circumstances you could omit the variables that would result in
appropriate sentences. These could include a variable when both parents are
known and/or separate variables for father and mother. The inclusion of the
"unknown" parent can go away as far as I am concerned. In particular the
tops of trees look plain silly with "unknown" "unknown" and I would prefer
to have nothing identified here.

Haven't played with the charts enough to tell you if there is a solution to
the second problem. CheriC