GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-09 > 1063346922

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Higher and Lower Sources
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:08:58 -0700

Beth - I don't know about the states you are working it, but in Missouri and
Kentucky each death certificate is a unique source. They are not extracted
from any book, but rather are unique documents in and of themselves. I have
never seen a death or birth certificate that contains any type of book or
volume number on them to indicate that they came from some type of
compilation. But all of these documents that I have worked with are at the
state level. Mills examples seems to indicate that those recorded at the
local different might come from a book. If that is your situation, use a
higher source for the book/volume and a separate lower source for each
individual certificate. You may want to create a custom template to do so.

You can go to the source templates and change the type. Just because a deed
is listed as a document doesn't mean that you can't make it a document w/in
a source if you want. Just change that at the source template. Or keep the
existing one and make a custom one that is a document w/in a source. *You*
have the flexibility to mold this as you wish. Unlike about 5 programs that
I can name where you are stuck with programmatic concepts of how sources are
identified, GenBox gives you the ability to mold the sources, source
templates, and "linkages" to fit your way of identifying and creating
sources.

I keep all of the default templates but have created a bunch of my own,
either from scratch or from modifications based on the existing ones. I
name them and put (clc) after the name in parentheses to know that it is my
own unique source template. I suspect that if one really wanted to get
technical, census records are documents w/in a source also because they are
kept in books, but I don't treat mine that way. I treat them as documents.
Every book uses my custom source template as does my CEN-WEB (censuses taken
from web-based digital images from Ancestry.com or Genealogy.com). I would
say that the bulk of my sources use *my* custom templates, but it is nice to
keep the original intact as guidelines.

Also know that Elizabeth Mills is coming out with a "big book" on sources
that will modify all of the existing examples in her current book. One of
the changes in store is that she is going to advise the use of recording the
time for e-mails. So even what we do today may need modification down the
road. Or we may want to leave what is already in place in tact and
implement the changes for future sources once the new book is released.
This sourcing business is not going to be static.

CheriC