GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-08 > 1061815672

From: "Paul J. Harris" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Sentences
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:47:52 -0400

Cheri,

You can get what you want very easily. If you have a Local Site named
Mississippi River, on the Place Name tab you can check the "The" box, so
'the' always appears before it. Then, on the Event View, when entering the
Local Site, type 'on' 'Mississippi River'. On the screen it will look like
"on Mississippi River," but check the sentence preview and you will see "on
the Mississippi River." The word 'on' in the Local Site field is a leading
modifier, so it suppresses the standard "at."

Alternatively, you could NOT check the "The" box on the Place Name Tab and
type it with the preposition as the leading modifier: 'on the Mississippi
River.' "On the" is the leading modifier which suppresses the "at." One
advantage of this method is you would see the "the" on the Summary and Event
Tab view, but "the" would not automatically be added to the Place Name in
other areas. Perhaps "showing" 'the' in the Local Site field when it applies
at the Place Name would be a consideration for Bill. It would let you know
without going to the Place Record that 'the' has been selected.

Come on, Cheri, you can make this work. Yes?

Paul