GENBOX-L ArchivesArchiver > GENBOX > 2003-08 > 1061510263
From: "Deborah Wesley" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Gedcom import wish (granted)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:57:43 -0500
How can I thank you!!! I think I will wait just a tad to move my data
over. You have just saved me HUGE amounts of work!!
I think I will spend my time while I wait getting better acquainted with
some of the nooks and crannies of GB.
From: William T. Flight [mailto:]
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Gedcom import wish (granted)
Your wish is coming true...
Genbox 3.1 has several enhancements to better handle nonstandard GEDCOM
files. One of them is--unrecognized/unsupported level-1 source tags are
copied to the source general notes.
Other changes you might find useful:
1) The missing space between CONC lines in notes is now added (this is
2) A TEXT tag immediately below a SOUR tag is now recognized as source
text. Line breaks are preserved.
3) DATE and PLAC tags below a SOUR tag are now stored as document date
4) Some of the default source templates have been renamed for better
matching against Generation's source types
5) An ALIA tag missing the link to an alias individual is now
interpreted and stored as a name alias.
6) A NICK tag at level 1 instead of level 2 is now processed.
7) Sources on notes are now imported correctly, even if they are two
levels down instead of one.
Thanks again for the generations GEDCOM file; it was helpful in testing
for these problems.
William T. Flight
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wesley, Debbie" <>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 2:19 PM
Subject: [GENBOX] Gedcom import wish
> In getting my sources ready to import I have read the GEDCOM standard
> for sources; not many fields are allowed. Generations uses many tags
> to define
> source such as DATE, TEXT, and PLAC, all of which are discarded by GB.
> I wish that when GB imports sources it would "toss" these things into
> the Notes field, making it a little easier to clean-up the sources.
==== GENBOX Mailing List ====
To join this list, send an email to with
the word "subscribe" as the subject line. Then email your messages to
and they will appear on this list.
To join Ancestry.com and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy
records, go to:
|RE: [GENBOX] Gedcom import wish (granted) by "Deborah Wesley" <>|