GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-08 > 1061308727

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] SOURCE in SOURCE
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:59:04 -0700

Here is what I do. I enter the Sources of a Source in the Source Notes
field. Then if I need to I can append the "source of a source" to the
actual source so that I get

Bill Utterback, “Bollinger Anderson Snippet, Graves Co. Early Newspaper
Snippets,” e-mail message from <> (P.O. Box 150, Amarillo, TX
69105-0150) to author, 9 January 2003, citing Mayfield Monitor, 17 August
1887.

In order to append the "citing Mayfield Monitor, 17 August 1887" portion,
from the Citation window I merely click enough times to open the Source
Notes. Then I select and copy the "Mayfield Monitor" part. Go to the
Annotation field, type the word "citing" and paste the text.

You can accomplish the same thing by adding the Sources of a Source to the
Evidence field and it doesn't take as many clicks to get to the juncture
where you can copy & paste it into the Annotation. However, I prefer to
keep the Evidence field for actual extracts/abstracts/transcriptions and so
prefer to use the Source Notes. But either way, this is totally doable now.
The only problem is that the Annotated material is separated from the rest
of the citation via a period, not a comma. I am optimistic that at some
juncture this will be user defined. However, this could be cleaned up in
your word processor and seems a minor inconvenience. Actually, a macro
could be written that would automate the process by hunting for the word
"citing."

If you are using a lot of these types of sources (say, you are using your
cousin Ann's manuscript and want to use all of her 900 sources as well so
that you can say "Ann, blah blah blah, citing yada yada yada" I don't think
you would really want to have to add all of those 900 sources that she uses
as separate sources. Besides there might be a tendency to bypass giving her
credit and using HER sources directly which wouldn't be appropriate. By
attaching them to HER source record, then they can only be used in
conjunction with a linkage using the word "citing" (or "referencing" if you
prefer) back to HER source record.

Hope this makes sense.

CheriC