GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-06 > 1056839776

From: "Paul J. Harris" <>
Subject: [GENBOX] Version 3.0.22 Places-Local Site and Leading Modifiers
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:36:16 -0400

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the update. I immediately focused on the provision for using
street numbers for Local Site names. I was able to change {386} Prospect
Avenue to 386 Prospect Avenue and make it stick as a Place Name without a
problem. However, there is a stickier situation that I'm not sure how to
resolve:

{406 40th} Street will not convert to 406 40th Street. I think I can get it
to:

{406} 40TH Street, but some or all of the numbers are considered Leading
Modifiers. Apparently the algorithm does not allow for a break in the number
series, especially when followed by lower case letters.

If I go the Local Site record and change the name to 406 40th Street, then
link the record to an Event Place and open the Place Magnifier, it
automatically parses "406 40th" as the Leading Modifier and "Street" as the
Local Site. If I capitalize the TH in 40th to 40TH, then "406" is parsed as
the leading modifier and "40TH Street" is the Local Site.

So, it appears that Local Site names can start with numbers, only as long as
the next character after a space and the end of the number series is a
capital letter? I can see why this may be set up this way to accommodate
phrases such as "2 miles north of the Town House School," but what's a
fellow to do with the situation I have illustrated above. I have hundreds of
addresses in NYC and Brooklyn that are on numbered streets and avenues.

One interim solution is to SPELL OUT the street names so the address is the
only number series. If I name the Local Site "406 Fortieth Street,"
everything works fine, and as expected. However, I would greatly appreciate
it if we could look into a satisfactory way to accommodate and address and
numbered street in the name of a local site.

Thanks,

Paul Harris

This thread: